Monday, September 22, 2008

Yankee Stadium



Last night we saw, what could possibly be, the last game ever at Yankee Stadium. Now mathematically the Yankees could still make the playoff as a wild card team, but they would need to win their remaining 6 games, including 3 against The Boston Red Sox, who have a 6.5 game lead on the Yankees going into tonights game against the Cleveland Indians. If Boston win tonight, then they will clinch the Wild Card thus ending the chance of The Yankees possibly making the playoffs.


As a kid growing up I have fond memories of Yankee Stadium. My father would take me to games almost once a month, and the one thing that I can say is that I never saw the Yankees lose in person. Being in the place that Ruth built, and being able to see future hall of famers such as Willie Randolph, Dave Winfield, Ricky Henderson all play in that place is will always be etched in my mind. The last game I was able to go to a Yankee game was in the summer of 1994. My father had just got called to glory and his best friend thought it was be a great idea to go to a Yankee game to get our minds off of everything. It was a great night, and it was a night that I would never forget. I plan to go back to the Bronx in November to officially say good-bye to a place that I dreamed of playing in, but obviously, GOD has other plans for me.


While there will never be another playoff game in the original Yankee Stadium, I will have plenty of playoff and World Series memories to last me a lifetime. Babe Ruth hit the first ever home run at Yankee Stadium, and Jose Molina hit the last home run, now thats something that he can tell his children and grandchildren for years to come.

No comments: